Generally, every human being on this planet has one problem or the other to contend with. Statements such as these are very common: I wish I have more money. I wish I was born into a rich family. If only I have enough time. If not for the harsh business environment in the country. If only there is stable power supply. If not for the current economic meltdown….. It goes on and on. However, there are people who have mastered the skills to deal with obstacles and rise above limitations in their life. They have discovered that limitations and obstacles in life are not there to discourage us but they are opportunities for us to show how badly we want to succeed. In fact, what most people see as limitations are actually opportunities disguising as problems which could be exploited to move to the next level.
There are highly successful people all over the world who had much greater obstacles but were able to rise beyond such limitations. Notable among them are: Helen Keller who became deaf and blind after a sickness when she was 19 months old. She authored several books, lived a fulfilled and very successful life despite her limitations. Julius Caesar was an epileptic. Napoleon was of humble beginning and far from being a born genius (he made forty sixth position in a class of sixty five at the military academy). MKO Abiola came from a very humble and poor background.
How did all these great individuals overcome severe setbacks and limitations to become highly successful? Were they special creatures? What did they do? A critical look into their life showed that they all have common traits which helped them to overcome and rise beyond their limitations. If they could do it, you can equally do it. You can equally succeed against all odds just like any of these great individuals.
How To Break Through Limitations and Barriers
1) Have a Vision for your life: The common trait among all successful people without any exception is that they have vision and dreams. Paul Harvey said that a blind man’s world is bounded by the limit of his touch. A great man’s world is bounded by the limit of his VISION. For you to deal with limitations and become successful you must have a vision of what you actually want to be in life. It is your vision that acts as the energy behind every effort and the force that pushes through all the obstacles you may encounter. Helen Keller was once asked, “What would be worse than being born blind?” she answered “To have sight without vision” What you see is what you get. That is, the way you see your future today is what you eventually become irrespective of perceived current limitations.
2) Turn your Vision and Dreams into Goals: A goal is a dream with specific plan of actions and a definite time frame for its achievement. For more on goal setting, you can read my earlier article on goals
3) Focus on the Goals: You see obstacles and limitations when you take your eyes off the goals. When you focus on the obstacles and limitations, fear of failure sets in. Fear of failure paralyzes your initiative and problem solving capacity.
4) Stop Procrastinating, Act now! Don’t wait until everything is perfect because it will never be. Cardinal John Henry Newman said that “Nothing would get done at all if a man waited until he could do something so well that no one could find fault with it”. Start acting now, even though the limitations and obstacles are there. You need to understand that those limitations will probably not go away but one thing is certain, there is always a way round the limitations. However, you need to take positive steps forward for you to see the way round the barriers.
5) Seek Knowledge: According to Paul Harvey, “an ignorant man’s world is bounded by the limit of his knowledge”. The Bible says “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge” (Hosea 4:6). What this means is that people see only limitations due to lack of knowledge. As a result, they neither make any impact during their life nor leave behind any legacy when they are no more. Those things you see as obstacles appear as limitations because of your current level of knowledge. Another verse in the Bible says: “And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free” (John 8:32). The depth of your knowledge will deliver you from those perceived limitations and consequently rise far above them.
Are you having difficulty overcoming obstacles and limitations in your life, career or business? Don’t give-up. Note that your current position is not the ultimate for you. Don’t be satisfied with the status quo! Don’t allow past failures or traditions to limit you. We have had people with bigger and more inundating limitations who were able to break through the barriers and lived highly successful life. If they could do it, nothing stops you from doing better. Remember there is always a way round the obstacles and limitations, there is no problem without solutions. Thank you for reading. Happy Easter Celebrations!
If you have any question, enquiry, advice or contributions please send it to email@example.com. If you wish to receive muyiwaOKEOLA weekly by mail, please send ‘subscribe’ to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please feel free to forward this article to as many people as possible.
Read, Act, Overcome and Succeed!